[darcs-users] Using darcs in the real world (branching, multiple developers...)

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Mon Nov 17 16:12:22 UTC 2003

I'm still new to the whole idea of distributed revision control, so help
me out here. I don't see anything in the darcs manual describing how a
single developer would manage two "editions" of a single project, nor
how a three developer shop might use darcs.

I describe three scenarios below, and in some cases try to propose some
processes. Please fill in the blanks, correct any errors, and suggest
other alternatives where appropriate.

SINGLE DEVELOPER, MULTIPLE EDITIONS

I am working on a project, with the repository on my local machine,
mirrored out to some public http site for people to pull from. Suddenly
I need to roll back to a specific tagged version, make some changes, and
re-release. For the next couple weeks, I want to be able to bounce back
and forth between that legacy version and my latest version.

How might I do that?

MULTIPLE DEVELOPERS (TRUSTED PEERS)

Three of us are working in the same company, on the same project. We
want to stay in sync with everyone's code on a frequent basis (multiple
times each day). With CVS, we perform 'cvs update' very often, like
maybe every half hour, to be sure we are up-to-date. We commit whenever
we are at a stopping point with good code that passes the tests.

I think we would want to use a 'star' model, where there would be a
'master' repository somewhere on our LAN. We would probably push our
changes to it whenever we were at a stopping point.

Mechanically, I suppose we would use push --and-apply to move our patch
into the master repository. Or we could push our patch-bundle to a file
in a particular directory, where a daemon would notice it and apply it
to the master repository. There are alternatives, of course.

Then, we would frequently 'pull' from the master repository. It sounds
like our method of working wouldn't have to change much.

MULTIPLE DEVELOPERS (LEAD/CONTRIBUTORS)

Three of us are working on the same free software project, from
different continents. One of us is the lead, who decides which patches
get into the master repository. The other two contributors want to stay
up to date with the master, and generally not with each other, although
occasionally they will want to directly exchange a patch or two.

Because the lead is also a developer, she still wants a separate master
repository aside from his personal workspace.

So when the lead completes a task, she would push --and-apply to the
master repository. The contributors would frequently pull from the
master, but would push their changes (via email) to the lead. The lead
would evaluate each patch to decide whether or not to accept it.

The lead would need to use a 'staging' repository to evaluate the
patches. That might be the master repository if the public version is
merely a copy. Or, if the public version is symlinked, the lead would
need a third repository on her machine. One for personal development,
one for staging, and one as the public master.

Probably the lead would pull from the master into her working
repository, and would push from the working repository to the staging
repository (just like everyone else). Then she would push from staging
to master.

----

That's my thinking so far. It's really hard to do these mind experiments
without having used darcs in a multi-user setting, nor (thankfully)
having struggled with CVS on a multi-person project.

Thanks,

Kevin