[darcs-users] More questions about the code (coslurpy and ./)

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Nov 18 11:35:50 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 07:22:50AM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> David Roundy wrote:
> >The "co" is the prefix meaning "together".  Really it should be coslurp
> >rather than co_slurp, linguistically.  It does a slurp without reading any
> >directories, but instead looking for files and directories having the same
> >names as those in another slurpy.
>
> Hmmm. You pass it a slurpy, so does it effectively re-slurp that slurp,
> but leaving out anything that is not also in the path you pass? Sounds
> simple enough.

No, not quite.  The filepaths in a slurpy are always relative, so coslurp
is generally used to slurp a completely different set of files, which have
the same relative names.  So to compare the contents of old/ and new/
(assuming no files were added or renamed), you'd run

o <- slurp "old"
n <- so_slurp o "new"
(then compare o and n, which will refer to completely different files)

> >Mostly a side effect, I'd say.  It allows me to treat the root directory as
> >"just another directory" as far as slurpies are concerned.  Currently every
> >patch type should have its filenames (or directory names) start with ./.
> >That may change, if I choose to add support for separate namespaces for
> >different sets of files.
>
> So "filenames in patches *must* start with ./" should be considered part
> of the data format at this point?

Yes.
--
David Roundy