[darcs-users] DARCS changes XSLT stylesheet

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Nov 19 14:42:09 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 02:15:34PM -0500, Sean Russell wrote:
> Hot on the heels of the --xml-output patch, here's a simple stylesheet that
> turns the XML output into HTML.
> David, I don't know if this is the sort of thing you want in the
> repository, so I'm just passing it around by hand.

At the moment, it seems better not to include it in the repo for a couple
of reasons.  I'd rather not have stuff there that isn't documented as part
of darcs (except I guess for the command-line completion stuff for bash and
zsh, but even that *ought* to be documented if it isn't).  Secondly, I'm
not sure how useful the stylesheet is by itself, since it only formats the
changes output.

I'd definitely be interested in including it if it could be used as the
basis of a viable alternative to darcs_cgi (which I detest).  That would
require two more sorts of pages (and symlinks between them)--one listing
the files in the repo at a given time, and one showing either a file diff
or file contents with modifications marked up.  These might be achievable
via one more darcs command, "showpatch", which would accept a few flags
(presumably including --xml-output), and would show some information about
the selected patch (selected via -m or -t or something like that--perhaps
we'd want to add a --hash flag to select the patch via its hash).

I'm picturing something like

darcs showpatch --contents -m patchname

which lists what files and directories exist, and

darcs showpatch --file=filename -m patchname

which shows modifications made to file filename.

Would you be interested in doing the XML output if I created such a
command? On the other hand, perhaps it would be a better idea to see about
getting ViewCVS working with darcs (which unfortunately requires some
python hacking).
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org