[darcs-users] Patch Theory in action

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Nov 20 13:49:47 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 06:16:34AM +0200, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
> On Thursday 20 November 2003 04:43, Kevin Smith wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out patch theory, and specifically at the moment,
> > dependencies. I think the patch theory section of the manual would be
> > far more understandable if it had concrete examples to augment the
> > abstract theories.
>
> Seconded (when reading the "Theory of patches" section I always find
> myself thinking "sure, cool theorems but what algorithm do you derive
> from them?" - of course the algorithms _are_ documented, only not in a
> form that's accessible to me (I really need to study haskell)). I think
> David said he is going to rewrite the section sometime before January(?),
> so we'd better start making suggestions :-)

Currently it's looking like I'll rewrite it either while at home for
Christmas or during January itself (but before Jan 31, when I'll be giving
a talk on darcs).  Since I'll be giving a 45 minute talk, I'll definitely
need a goodly number of concrete examples of the patch theory at work.  And
of course suggestions are always welcome!

Kevin, your explanation is correct (which I don't imagine surprises you).
The "solution" to the creepy situation where a patch is meaningless without
its context is somewhat alleviated by patch bundles--see my response to
your branching email.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org