[darcs-users] The inventories directory

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Thu Nov 20 16:05:04 UTC 2003

David Roundy wrote:

> It's to allow the inventory file to be split into multiple pieces so you
> don't need to download the whole thing every time you do a pull.

Ah. When I look at the darcs project's inventory and inventories file, I
see the relationship. The inventory file only contains the "recent"
entries, and it refers to a TAG file in the inventories directory for
the rest. That file chains to another file, and so on.

> That's because on most operations darcs just appends to inventory rather
> than rewriting the whole thing.  Get breaks the inventory up, as does
> unrecord and unpull.  I should add an optimize option to break up the
> inventory.  On old projects, just downloading the entire inventory can be
> slow.

Based on what I'm seeing in the darcs project, I would have thought that
doing a tag would cause a break. No biggie.

Kevin