[darcs-users] Ambiguous occurrence `bracket' - error

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Nov 22 13:20:06 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 04:46:22PM +0100, Gour wrote:
> After resolving the autoconf issue, here is another one:
>
> when building latest darcs with --with-wx switch, I ge thhe following:
>
> ghc  -cpp  -O -funbox-strict-fields -DHAVEWX -package wx -package util -package text  -c SelectChanges.lhs
>
> SelectChanges.lhs:168:
>     Ambiguous occurrence `bracket'
>         It could refer to either `Control.Exception.bracket', imported from Control.Exception at SelectChanges.lhs:33
>   or `Graphics.UI.WXCore.Types.bracket', imported from Graphics.UI.WX at SelectChanges.lhs:28
> make: *** [SelectChanges.o] Error 1

Ok, I've fixed this.  It seems that Daan is keen on reexporting standard
libraries, which is causing this sort of a conflict...

> (On Win98 with MinGW & MSYS darcs build normally, but still it fails with
> inittree & renaming files.)

I've got a possible fix in for this problem.  I added an autoconf test to
see if renameFile is buggy, and created a workaround version.  This isn't
as nice as John's version (which uses a windows-specific atomic rename),
but is cleaner, since it doesn't rely on this bug only existing on windows,
and uses a generic (albeit non-atomic) fix.  And, it means that once the
bug in ghc on windows is fixed, darcs will be using the same codebase
automatically.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org