[darcs-users] Default binary masks

Marnix Klooster mklooster at baan.nl
Sat Nov 22 20:42:28 UTC 2003

Sean Russell wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 November 2003 06:47, David Roundy wrote:
> > >   vssver.scc -k 'b'
> >
> > What's this one? I haven't added it be cause I don't know where it comes
> > from.
>
> Looks like a Visual Source Safe config file.

This triggers something else: what about Unicode?  Microsoft Visual Studio
tools tend to use Unicode configuration files (I think UTF-16), which by
most version control systems are treated as binary.  (I know .vjp files from
Visual J++ are Unicode, and I think .dsp and/or .dsw files from Visual
Studio as well.) It would be nice to at least recognize files starting with
bytes FFFE or FEFF (hex), since these are most probably UTF-16 files.  But
perhaps I'm opening a can of worms here :-)

One way to do this would be to store the following properties for every
file, or for each group of file names (using regexps):
 * character encoding (single byte, double byte, UTF-8, UTF-16, ...)
 * line separation style (\n, \r, \n\r, \r\n, none (for binary files))
This generalizes the current notion of binary files.

Groetjes,
 <><
Marnix
--