[darcs-users] Re: Jam-based build system

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sun Nov 23 14:57:16 UTC 2003

Gour  writes:

 > Have you tried AAP (and some other like SCons) and how do (do) it
 > (they) compare with Jam for FP usage?

I don't know about AAP ... Where I can I find it?

For SCons, pmake, cook, automake, and a thousand others: I
have tried all of them. IMHO, they are all pretty much the
same as make, only different syntax and (sometimes)
different problems. The only build systems that are really
more powerful than make are Jam and Odin. The latter is
_cool_, but I doubt many people would be willing to invest
the time necessary to understand how to use it.

Jam, on the other hand, is nice and simple, but the Jambase
system, that comes with it, is insufficient; so is the
automatic source file scanning mechanism.

My idea was to prototype a build system with Jam, and then
to use that know-how to write a build system purely in
Haskell, where your "makefile" is really just a data type,
which you can run through "make world" -- as a Haskell
function call -- to build all targets.

But it _is_ tricky. I'm trying to back this all up with an
axiomatic model, which can be subjected to mathematical
analysis, before writing any code. So the Jam build for
darcs is really just an experiment. Still the Jam-build is
better than the GNU-make-one, IMHO. :-)

Peter