[darcs-users] problem building from tarball

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Nov 23 19:09:41 UTC 2003

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 04:51:46PM +0100, boris j wrote:
> I'm trying to build darcs from the tarball, but the build fails pretty quickly
> with message:
>
>     ghc  -cpp  -O -funbox-strict-fields -package util -package text  -fffi -c
> Autoconf.lhs
>     Prologue junk?: .globl __stginit_Autoconf
>             .type   __stginit_Autoconf, at function
>     __stginit_Autoconf:
>             pushl   %ebp
>             movl    %esp, %ebp
>
>     make: *** [Autoconf.o] Error 255
>
> I'm compiling darcs 0.9.14 (the one downloadable from the webpage) with ghc
> 6.0.1 on an Mandrake 9.0 pc box.

Can you try compiling the following one line program:

main = putStr "Hello world.\n"

using

ghc -c -O hello.hs
ghc -o hello hello.o
./hello

just to see if your compiler is working? As Peter suggested, it looks like
a compiler problem.  Note that ghc uses gcc, so your gcc may be a problem,
if it is strange in some way.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org