[darcs-users] Mirroring repos to a web host (was: Using darcs in the real world)

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Mon Nov 24 17:12:41 UTC 2003

Gour wrote:
> Can you suggest some tool for mirroring?
>
> I'd like to be able to mirror my localhost repos to web-hosted site.

At first, I was just using ftp to send the whole project directory up.
As the project got bigger, that started taking too long. So in my case,
I switched to using rsync. If your web host supports it, it does a great
job of only sending deltas, and it's easy to have rsync ignore files
(like .o and .so for example).

The other option I thought of would be to only upload the
_darcs/inventory file, and the _darcs/inventories and _darcs/patches
directories. A darcs get shouldn't require the workspace or current
directories. Since files in patches are never modified after they are
written(?), you would only have to upload new patches, so it would be
very fast.

Unfortunately, at the moment darcs get seems to fail if there is no
current directory in the repo you are grabbing. It would be nice if this
would work.

Kevin