[darcs-users] darcs mentioned on lwn.net

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Wed Nov 26 02:44:31 UTC 2003

I don't think this article requires a subscription, but forgive me if
I'm wrong:
  http://lwn.net/Articles/59997/

Bruce Perens posted a comment suggesting that if BitKeeper became
unusable for the kernel, they might be able to switch to arch. Then
stevenj mentioned darcs, and mjw mentioned monotone. Good to see the
word spreading about distributed version control!

In the Linux Journal article this links to, Linus rants about how the
CVS model would never be effective for kernel work. He seems to be
completely unaware of arch, darcs, or monotone. Most of the rest of the
article is more information than I needed to know about Linus's new
super-error-checking C parsing front end.

Since I've already cluttered your inbox, I wanted to mention one other
thing: Linus mentions that the kernel mailing list is "not a very
friendly place". One of the reasons I am here in darcs world is because
one of the other distributed version control system mailing lists is
full of flames and unfriendliness. Thanks to everyone here for being
civil, helpful, respectful, etc, and especially to David for setting the
tone.

Cheers,

Kevin