[darcs-users] darcs mentioned on lwn.net

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Nov 26 11:23:21 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 06:44:31PM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> Bruce Perens posted a comment suggesting that if BitKeeper became
> unusable for the kernel, they might be able to switch to arch. Then
> stevenj mentioned darcs, and mjw mentioned monotone. Good to see the word
> spreading about distributed version control!

As a caveat, stevenj is a coworker of mine... he's also the author of the
awsome FFTW package.

> In the Linux Journal article this links to, Linus rants about how the CVS
> model would never be effective for kernel work. He seems to be completely
> unaware of arch, darcs, or monotone. Most of the rest of the article is
> more information than I needed to know about Linus's new
> super-error-checking C parsing front end.

I'm sure Linus is fully aware of arch at the minimum.  Darcs has kept a low
profile, as has monotone, so quite likely he's not thought of them as
serious alternatives.  In the case of arch, I would guess (although I could
be wrong) that he understands its flaws better than Tom Lord does.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org