[darcs-users] GUI for darcs

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Nov 27 12:29:22 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:52:19PM -0600, Thaddeus L. Olczyk wrote:
> I was wondering three things about darcs.
> 1) Does it have an emacs mode?

No, it doesn't.  Although I am indeed an emacs user, I've never felt a need
to run external programs from emacs.  On the other hand, I don't imagine it
would be too hard to create an emacs mode.  The hardest part would be that
most darcs commands are best used interactively, and this might be tough
with emacs.

> 2) Does it run on both Windows and Unix? ( Given that it is written in
> ghc, I see no reason why not. )

It does run on windows, but since I don't have windows I can't very well
test how well it works.  But we have two people who compile and test darcs
using windows.  However, in both cases windows isn't their primary
platform, so I'm sure it doesn't get as well tested on windows as it is on
linux or macosx.

> 3) Is there a GUI for it ( both Windows and Linux )?

There is an experimental GUI written using wxhaskell, although I'm not sure
that it is what you are thinking of.  The GUI is still command-line driven,
but it pops up a window allowing you to select patches or changes
interactively, or in the case of record to also enter the patch name and
comments interactively.

To use the GUI, you have to run configure with the --with-wx option, and
then call darcs with

darcs whatsnew --gui
darcs record --gui

or add the line "ALL gui" to _darcs/prefs/defaults.
http://www.abridgegame.org