[darcs-users] problem with files without trailing newlines

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Nov 27 19:32:40 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 09:47:55AM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> David Roundy wrote:
> >The problem has been that changing how darcs breaks files into newlines
> >breaks compatibility, so I didn't want to do it.  I've now decided that now
> >is the time to break compatibility, and I also realized that it won't be as
> >bad as I feared.
>
> Dang. Since I only started using darcs after it started writing out new
> patch filenames, I hoped I would avoid any conversions. Oh well.
>
> But I wonder if it's really necessary to break compatibility. Would it
> be "good enough" that checking out an old repo with a new version would
> omit the trailing newline?

That's precisely what will happen (even with the conversion).  Existing
repos without conversion will still interoperate well with old versions of
darcs.

> Or perhaps the repo conversion could be considered optional, where if
> the user can live without those trailing newlines, and they already have
> the new patch names, they don't really *have* to convert?

Well, instead of doing a conversion, you could do a non-local darcs get
(a "darcs get localhost:path/to/repo" would work), since it is only the
contents of _darcs/current that gets messed up.
http://www.abridgegame.org