[darcs-users] UTF-16 (was: Default binary masks)

Alex Shinn foof at synthcode.com
Fri Nov 28 02:41:31 UTC 2003

At Thu, 27 Nov 2003 06:49:30 -0500, David Roundy wrote:

> It seems that replace is safe if your tokens only contain single byte
> characters, but if you want to include multibyte characters in your tokens,
> the tokenizing code will split the bytes of a single character, which is
> definitely not a good thing.  A small extension to the tokenizing code to
> support [^ \n\t] type specification would make replace work all right with
> multibyte characters, as long as you specify the token delimiters rather
> than the valid token characters (or the valid token characters are all
> single-byte).

Ah, I'd prefer this style anyway since I program in Scheme which allows
almost anything in an identifier.  Technically R5RS Scheme is defined in
terms of an inclusive list of letters, numbers and any of

but in my head I just think in terms of whitespace, comma, hash,
semi-colon, quotes and parens being delimiters.  And Gauche Scheme
allows arbitrary Unicode characters in identifiers (so you can define <=
using the single <= character if you want).

It might be nice to be able to record per project the default
delimiters, whether they are inclusive or exclusive.

--
Alex