[darcs-users] internal error

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Nov 28 17:40:49 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 05:07:57PM +0100, Gour wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm putting win32 darcs on a more real test by working with one real web site.
>
> After doing some slight changes to html files and issuing whatsnew, darcs
> crashes (both in rxvt - MSYS environment, as well as under MSDOS prompt):
>
>  darcs whatsnew
>  c:\MinGW\bin\darcs.exe: internal error: RTS exhausted max heap size (268435456 bytes)
>
>      Please report this as a bug to glasgow-haskell-bugs at haskell.org,
>          or http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/ghc/
>
> I hope you can make something out of it (more than myself :-)

Hmmmm.  Is this a large system?

There are a few possibilities.  One is that your repo really requires more
than 670M memory.  This seems unlikely, but you can test this by trying

darcs whatsnew +RTS -M1000000001

which will set your max heap size to be very large.

You could try again with them uncompressed--a darcs pull --no-compress into
an empty repo should convert your repo.  Or if you only have a few patches
(since it sounds like a new repo) you could run gunzip and then manually
add the .gz extension back onto the files.

Does darcs whatsnew on the repo work fine under linux? And how much memory
does it seem to use (if you can see it on top, perhaps)?

Those are all the ideas I have at the moment for troubleshooting this
problem.  If it shows up in linux as well, that would be good news, since
it would make it much easier to track down...
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org