[darcs-users] internal error

ketil at ii.uib.no ketil at ii.uib.no
Sat Nov 29 08:30:39 UTC 2003

Gour <gour at mail.inet.hr> writes:

>  darcs whatsnew
>  c:\MinGW\bin\darcs.exe: internal error: RTS exhausted max heap size (268435456 bytes)
>
>      Please report this as a bug to glasgow-haskell-bugs at haskell.org,
>          or http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/ghc/
>
> I hope you can make something out of it (more than myself :-)

If you build darcs with profiling (add -prof to the GHC command line
for *all* modules), you can run darcs with options

   +RTS -h -RTS

to get memory profiling output.  This should tell you which function
is consuming all the memory.  For a variation, use

   +RTS -hd -RTS

which gives you the type of data (usually the constructor) filling up
the heap.  This is often helpful for me when tracking down excessive
memory use (which more often than not is caused by too much, and less
often, too little, laziness)

(You need to run the resulting darcs.hp file through hp2ps, and use a
PS viewer (i.e. gv on Linux) to view the graph)

-kzm