[darcs-users] soliciting input on darcs annotate output.

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Nov 29 16:06:52 UTC 2003

Hello everyone.

I've just gotten the darcs annotate "working".

darcs annotate -m patchname .

lists the contents of the root directory as of the most recent patch
matching the regexp "patchname".  Leaving the -m argument out gives the
current contents.

darcs annotate -m patchname filename

gives the contents of filename, along with when it was created and when
each line was last and next modified.

In both cases, I didn't spend much thought on the annotation format, so I
think I've got a format that is hard for both computers and humans to
read.  Suggestions are welcome.

There is still one glaring problem with: the filename is input in terms of
the name of the file at the time of patchname, but if you're trying to find
the history of a given file, that's rather inconvenient, since it's name
may have changed many times.  I should add an option to specify the name of
the file when it was created, together with the patch that created it,
since this uniquely identifies a file.

This feature is needed for browsing changes to a file, since you'd like to
be able to jump to the patch that modified a given line, but it is a bit
tedious to find the filename at that time.

On the other hand, another solution to this problem would be to mention in
the annotation what the filename was when we mention which patch modified
each line.  That might actually be better...
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org