[darcs-users] File name too long

BARBOUR Timothy Timothy_BARBOUR at rta.nsw.gov.au
Mon Oct 13 00:09:41 UTC 2003

[...]
> Well, part of the reason is that if it ain't broke, don't fix
> it.  Also,
> with a hash there is a (very very small) possibility that two
> patches could
> end up with the same hash, and that could lead to Bad Things.
>  With the
> current scheme, it is also possible to create two different
> patches with
> the same filename, but you can guarantee that this won't
> happen by waiting
> a second between recording patches and by not using the same
> author name as
> anyone else (who might happen to record a patch at the same
> time).  With a
> hash there is no way to guarantee that you won't create a conflicting
> patch.

Another advantage of the current scheme is that the repository is
human-readable. I find it reassuring to look in the patches directory and
see my changes there. If the patch filenames were hashes, it would be harder
to see what patches are present (maybe other tools can make up for this).

Tim

-- sorry about the lame .sig --

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This e-mail and any attachment to it is intended only to be read or used by
the named addressee.  It is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
mistaken transmission to you.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please
immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender.  You must not
disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you are not the intended
recipient.  The RTA is not responsible for any unauthorised alterations to
this e-mail or attachment to it.