[darcs-users] File name too long

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Oct 13 11:42:04 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:09:41AM +1000, BARBOUR Timothy wrote:
> Another advantage of the current scheme is that the repository is
> human-readable. I find it reassuring to look in the patches directory and
> see my changes there. If the patch filenames were hashes, it would be harder
> to see what patches are present (maybe other tools can make up for this).

In a sense, that's one of the reasons why I'm considering changing the
scheme.  Looking at the patch filenames *doesn't* tell you what patches are
actually in the repository, since some of them may have been removed.  The
correct low-level way to see what's in the repo is to look at the
_darcs/inventory--and then perhaps the contents of _darcs/inventories, if
the inventory has been broken up into multiple pieces.  Alas, if I switched
to using hashes, the contents of _darcs/inventories will also be
human-unreadable...

On the other hand, the reason I don't delete the patch files when the
patches are removed is so in case of emergency (e.g. you unpulled a patch
that you meant to unrecord) their contents can be examined--this would be
more tedious if the filenames were hashes.
http://www.abridgegame.org