[darcs-users] Re: symlinks

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Mon Oct 13 23:02:40 UTC 2003

David Roundy writes:

 > I'm not sure what the point of using symlinks would be.

Not that I'm a big fan of symlinks ... But I'm using darcs to
keep several machines' /etc directories synchronized, and since
the system does rely on symlinks in /etc (the whole init and
run-level stuff, for instance), I have no choice but to "use"
them. :-(

 > [...] all symlinks should be simply viewed as a special file
 > containing a string, with that string probably being
 > restricted to not contain a newline.

Yes, I also think that's the best solution. A symlink is just the
name of the file it points to. Whether this file is in the
repository, outside of the repository, or doesn't even exist at
all, shouldn't be darcs' problem. The user can add consistency
checks to "darcs check" as he sees fit.

Peter