[darcs-users] Re: File name too long

BARBOUR Timothy Timothy_BARBOUR at rta.nsw.gov.au
Wed Oct 15 01:57:30 UTC 2003

[...]
> > Personally, I'd use the scheme
> >
> >     ISO date and time / e-mail address / content hash
> >
> > as in:
> >
> >     20031013220510-simons at cryp.to-00121561f0755a36247eee9b569fa8d7

I thought the components of an ISO date were separated by hyphens (e.g.
2003-10-15).

> > It's not really beautiful, but it will result in a more or
> less short
> > file name, and it won't collide. Also, having the date and

Can anyone explain why collisions should be a concern ? A sha1 hash is 160
bits (i.e. 1E48 values), which suggests that the likelihood of a collision
is negligible. The only concern I can see is if the hash algorithm fails to
ditribute keys evenly. Is that a real possibility ?

> time in the
> > file name will make it easy to find a certain patch file in the
> > repository just by examining the output of "darcs changes".

It is inconsistent to advocate an advantage of putting information in the
filename as part of a proposal for removing other information (the patch
name).

What problems do the long filenames cause ? What would be the benefit of
replacing them with hashes ?

Tim

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This e-mail and any attachment to it is intended only to be read or used by
the named addressee.  It is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
mistaken transmission to you.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please
immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender.  You must not
disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you are not the intended
recipient.  The RTA is not responsible for any unauthorised alterations to
this e-mail or attachment to it.