[darcs-users] New repository format!

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Oct 15 13:44:56 UTC 2003

Thanks Peter, for the parsing code! I had to hack it a bit to get it where
I wanted, but it helped a lot.

I have now impelemented in the latest darcs write support for a new
repository format, with the only change being the naming scheme for the
patch files.  By write support, I mean that with current darcs, as you
create new patches (or pull patches), they will be created with both the
new and the old filenames.  Running darcs get will still give you just the
old repository format.

There is also a little utility called convert-repo (run 'make convert-repo
to get it) which performs this conversion for any old patches present in a
repo.  The plan is to leave the code as it is for a little while, and then
switch to reading the new repository format while still writing both
formats.  Eventually I'll switch to only writing the new format.  In the
meantime, there's usually no real penalty to writing both formats, as hard
links are used for the two patch names.  The exception is when using
compressed patches--I ran into a problem there and ended up just writing
two copies.  :(

Further thoughts, criticisms and suggestions are welcome.
http://www.abridgegame.org/darcs