[darcs-users] DARCS pushable repository security question

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Oct 20 14:12:54 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:42:22AM -0400, Sean E. Russell wrote:
> > Part of the reason I haven't worried too much about this issue is
> > because my feeling is that the best use of darcs *is* to run tests on a
> > push server.  It saves developers the trouble (and time) of testing
> > each change
>
> I have a more humble use for DARCS, in that I simply want a place for
> people to easily submit patches.  I'm going to be auditing the patches
> before accepting them into a secure repository, and I'll be running tests
> at that point.

In that case, you don't need what I call a pushable repository, unless you
need your users to be able to access each other's patches before you accept
them.  If you set _darcs/prefs/email for your public repository to your
email address (or even that of a dedicated mailing list), they can easily
run "darcs push" and you'll get the patch by email.  This is how I have the
darcs repo set up.  (I also have a second repo to which I have push access.)

Also, if you give the right options to apply (--verify *and*
--reply=youremailaddress) darcs will forward unauthorized patches to you,
but apply authorized patches.  I haven't used it this way, but it should
work (and should be safe if you give only yourself write access).  Do make
sure that "youremailaddress" isn't the same address that the patches are
sent to--I think that leads to a nasty email loop.  I should set up the
darcs repo this way, but just haven't gotten around to it.
http://www.abridgegame.org