[darcs-users] How to "simulate" CVS vendor branches?

David Roundy droundy at jdj5.mit.edu
Tue Oct 28 11:57:18 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 07:12:49AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> (Apologies for replying to myself, but I've thought about this, and now
> disagree with some of the things that I said.)
>
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 06:53:17AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> > > How would I set this up? Do I use several distinct darcs
> > > repositories and push/pull individual patches around with
> > > some tag trickery?
> >
> > This is what I would suggest.  Each library and tool should have its own
> > repository.  Where things get ugly is when you make changes in the project
> > repo (using "project repo" to describe a repo containing libraries plus
> > local files).  Each patch you record must only contain changes to either
> > local files or files from a single library.  Otherwise, the patch won't be
> > able to be pulled into the library repository without pulling in the other
> > files it modifies.

On further consideration, I think I'm making life much harder than it needs
to be.  If each library or tool you'd like to deal with separately is
localized to a separate directory, all you need do is have nested
repositories.  So you run

darcs get http:.../project
cd project
darcs get http:.../project/library
darcs get http:.../project/other_library

The only problem here is that you'll need to pull separately for project,
library and other_library (and also record separately).
http://www.abridgegame.org