[darcs-users] push --and-apply

Aggelos Economopoulos aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr
Tue Sep 16 02:21:57 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to easily exchange patches between repositories
in my home machine (which doesn't have a permanent connection to the
outside world) and repositories in an always-up remote host.

At first, I was thinking about using http and the ssh port redirection
feature for doing remote->local pulls (remote->local means the
'darcs pull' command runs on local) and darcs push -o ...; scp ...;
for local->remote patch transfers. That was until I went through
External.lhs and stumbled on read_ssh - it should definately be more
widely advertised; it's only mentioned in the "Building darcs" section
in the manual and in a month old thread in darcs-users (I'ld submit a
documentation patch but I haven't been able to make it work yet - see
below).

Trying to do a pull from a repository I've copied in rhost:/rpath/ results
in the following error message (actual paths removed):

aggelos at erwin:~/4tmp/> darcs pull username at rhost:/rpath/
Error in subprocess: Virtual timer expired

Fail: user error
Reason: (scp2) failed to fetch: username at rhost:/rpath//_darcs/inventory

aggelos at erwin:~/4tmp/>

(the "Error in subprocess: Virtual timer expired" line doesn't always
get printed). You'll notice I've changed External.lhs to use scp2 (the
one from ssh.com, not the openssh one) due to server incompatibilities.

However,

scp2 username at rhost:/rpath//_darcs/inventory ~/inventory

works just fine (run from the same shell as the above 'darcs pull' - the
shell is a child of ssh-agent2).

Any clues?

Aggelos