[darcs-users] David. I think wx build is broken again

Nigel Rowe rho at swiftdsl.com.au
Sun Apr 4 13:43:39 UTC 2004

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 22:11, David Roundy wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 04:05:36PM +1000, Nigel Rowe wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> > 	the wx build seems to be broken again.

> > <snip>
> >
> > ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package text -O -funbox-strict-fields -package
> > wx - -DHAVEWX -package wx -Wall -DHAVE_CURSES -package util -fffi -c
> > SelectChanges.lhs
> >
> > SelectChanges.lhs:90:
> >     Cannot unify the type-signature variable `a' with the type `()'
> >         Expected type: IO a
> >         Inferred type: IO ()
> >     In the expression:
> >         start
> >         $ (do
> >              parent <- frame [text := cap_jn]
>
> Argh! And this time I actually tested it! The type of the "start" function
> in wxhaskell changed in version 0.7, which caused an annoying (but
> harmless) error, which was reported by Gour.  I fixed this error message,
> but the result seems to be that I've broken the build for wxhaskell
> versions prior to 0.7.  So either you can upgrade to the latest wxhaskell
> (released just this week), or I can figure out how to make it work with
> both versions.  I'd probably prefer the former solution.  wxhaskell is
> changing rapidly enough that trying to support multiple versions is
> probably not a good idea.

Sorry David, still no joy.

I updated to
$ ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.2.1

and
$ rpm -q wxhaskell-gtk2.4.2-ghc6.2.1
wxhaskell-gtk2.4.2-ghc6.2.1-0.7-0

downloaded today from sourceforge.

$ make distclean
<snip>
$ ./configure --with-wx
<snip>
$ make
<snip>
ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package text -O -funbox-strict-fields -package wx
- -DHAVEWX -package wx -Wall -DHAVE_CURSES -package util -fffi -c
SelectChanges.lhs

SelectChanges.lhs:89:
    Cannot unify the type-signature variable `a' with the type `()'
        Expected type: IO a
        Inferred type: IO ()
    In the expression:
        start
        $ (do
             parent <- frame [text := cap_jn]

(I assume the change in reported line number is due to the upgraded ghc).

- --
	Nigel Rowe
	rho at swiftdsl.com.au