[darcs-users] announcing darcs 0.9.19

Will will at glozer.net
Sun Apr 11 18:27:01 UTC 2004

David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 11:50:14AM -0700, Will wrote:
>>
>> Thanks David!  I put a win32 build at http://glozer.net/darcs.  I've
>> switched to a static build process, so there is a single darcs.exe
>> with no DLL dependencies; it has libcurl and everything else linked
>> in.  This build also uses win32 threads instead of pthreads.
>
> Hmmm.  I tried running this using wine, and it seems that it *does* require
> libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll.  These are the openssl libraries, and I
> guess it makes sense not to link with them statically, since if you did so
> you couldn't legally distribute the resulting binary... Perhaps it would be
> better to simply build darcs using the non-ssl version of libcurl? Another
> option would be to relicense darcs with a special exception for openssl,
> but to do that I'd have to track down everyone who's contributed
> (admittedly there aren't *that* many) and get their permission, which would
> be a bit of a pain.

Aargh, thanks for testing!  Something had installed those DLLs into my
system32 dir so I missed them during dependency checking.  Good thing
though, I wasn't aware of the legal problems of using openssl.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a non-ssl libcurl to work.  I
built both ssl and non-ssl versions of 7.11.1, and using the non-ssl
version causes darcs.exe to segfault on some of the tests.  Strangely
the ssl build works fine.

> In addition, you probably don't want to include darcs-createrepo.exe,
> darcsman.exe or unit.exe in the zip file.  I don't think you'd want to
> include darcs_cgi.exe either, although I suppose it could be useful for
> people who run web servers on their windows machines... but I'm not sure
> it'd look in the right places to find the repositories.

Ok, I've rebuilt the darcs-0.9.19-win32.zip to not link to libcurl, and
and have removed those extra programs from the archive.

Regards,
Will