[darcs-users] rolling back/unpulling a patch with dependencies

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Thu Apr 22 15:09:24 UTC 2004

David Roundy wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:38:08PM -0700, Kevin Smith wrote:
>
>>When I received my first darcs patch bundle from someone, I expected
>>'apply' to affect my working directory, but NOT immediately record it. I
>>wanted to inspect the changes, run make, and play with the results
>>before recording it. Since there were no conflicts, WHOOSH...it had been
>>recorded without my approval.
>

> The reason is that the changes were already recorded--in the other person's
> repository.  It would be bad to let you give a different name to someone
> else's changes--that would result in a conflict in their repo the next time
> they pulled from your repo.

Ok. That makes sense.

> You may prefer the apply --interactive option, which prompts you for each
> patch in the bundle and lets you look at them before applying.

Yes, except that's a *very* primative way to compare two versions. I
really want to perform a graphical diff, at least, between the before
and after versions of a patch.

I suppose the real answer is for [me/someone] to write a separate tool
that allows you to compare your current repo against how it would look
after applying a certain patch bundle. Or, not quite as nice, to compare
between the current version, and the current version minus a
recently-applied patch bundle.

Kevin