[darcs-users] Patch grouping.

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Apr 23 09:42:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 03:55:36PM -0700, David Brown wrote:
> I would like to be able to group a couple of patches together so that
> they are easier to pull around.
>
> I think that dependencies will do this, however, it isn't possible to
> create this thing that I want.
>
>   - It could be a tag (since nothing changes) that depends not on
>     everything past, but on specified changes.
>
>   - It could also be a regular patch, with explicit dependencies.
>     However, darcs won't let me record a patch that has no changes.

This definitely was in the plans from the start, but never got implemented,
just because I never really felt like I needed it myself.  I think the
latter solution is better, as it would allow you to also record some new
changes while grouping without using a different interface.

I think there is a simple solution here, which is to allow you to record a
patch with no changes, as long as you've given the --ask-deps flag.  The
fact that darcs doesn't allow you to record an empty patch is mostly
intended as a feature--to keep you from accidentally recording empty
patches (which usually is a mistake).  What do you think, would this be
sufficient? I've made a change to allow this, although it isn't tested.
Let me know if it works well for you.
http://www.abridgegame.org