[darcs-users] Maintaining same file times on Win98

David Brown darcs at davidb.org
Fri Apr 23 16:10:08 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 05:11:56AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:

> It depends on the method by which files are transfered.  For a local get,
> darcs can now preserve file modification times (I just now added that
> feature), but when transfering via http or ssh it can't.  I'm not sure
> though, when one would want to do with such a feature...

What most other systems do is that they set the file modification time
to the repository time, but only when the file is first created.  Any
time the file is updated (merging, pulling, whatever), the time is set
to the current time.  Otherwise build tools get easily confused.

In other words, darcs get could set the modification time, but none of
the other commands should.

The only time it really matters is when someone checks in both a source
an target (common with autoconf files).

Dave