[darcs-users] internal error & blank lines

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Sat Apr 24 18:47:29 UTC 2004

I have trouble with darcs 0.9.19.

I have two repos, work and dist.  I work in work (whoo) and
at times pull to dist to make a new release.  I only change
the version number and tag in dist, so in work I always have
"version" 0.0.  I also deleted some debugging code in dist way
back, and it has caused some conflicts that I have resolved.
I never pull these changes back to work.

Some days ago I noticed that two hunks in `darcs whatsnew'
showed an extra blank line at the end of two files.  But the
blank line was not in the files, and `darcs diff' did not
show these lines.  So I recorded anyway.

Now, after many new records, when I finally pull to dist I
get very strange conflicts at the end of these files:

------------------------
  [beginning of file]
  v v v v v v v
  [50 lines of code]
  *************
  [50 identical lines of code]
  [some new lines (the real change)]
  ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
  [extra blank line from nowhere]
------------------------

This is from pulling just one patch.  Pulling all patches
(as I use to do) took "forever" so I aborted.

I then tried to pull from dist to work the patch that removed
the debugging code, to get rid of the problem once and for all.
66 lines in patch, 1200 lines of code, Athlon 2500+, 1024 MB mem;
terminated after one hour with:

  darcs: internal error: scavenge_mutable_list: strange object? 36351
      Please report this as a bug to glasgow-haskell-bugs at haskell.org,
      or http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/ghc/

Both repos seem to work fine by their own, so I can just drop
dist and `darcs get' a new since the version history is not
important to me at this time.  However this should maybe be
examined, but I need help on how to proceed.