[darcs-users] Symbolic Links and File Permissions

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Tue Apr 27 09:32:15 UTC 2004

BARBOUR Timothy wrote:
> I am also interested in using darcs to control configuration files within a
> Linux system. I would like to treat the entire filesystem hierarchy as a
> darcs playpen (with the repository in /_darcs). Most of the files (e.g.

I had this idea too, but now I think it is something very
different than what darcs aims to do, and it would probably
be more efficiently implemented in the file system itself.

Much of darcs philosophy is making new repos, individually
developing in these, and merge changes across them.  This
doesn't sound like normal operations on whole file systems
(making the whole file system a darcs repo).

However, the darcs way of working with changes rather then
version history, is very attractive, and I guess *that* is
what made at least me wanting it on the entire file system.
I once worked a little with a VMS file system which has version
control, but as a history of older versions of every file,
and that is no way near as nice as the feeling you have when
you record a patch with darcs, knowing it can be individually
dealt with, regardless of what "version" it happens to be in.