[darcs-users] peer to peer darcs

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Aug 1 10:33:21 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 06:39:46PM -0400, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 06:15:43AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> > Oh, I get it.  You could commute the patches into a minimal context,
> > yes, that would be very clever (and I even thought about doing
> > something like this at one time).  This would be a nice feature.
>
> Then I guess that's what I meant.  :-)

:)

> > The only problem is that
> > it could be very slow, O(n^2) in the worst case sceneario, in which half
> > the patches in the repo are in the minimal context.  Specifying a tag to
> > keep in the context would greatly alleviate the slowness problem, but would
> > perhaps over-complicate the feature.  I guess something like
> >
> > darcs send --to me at work --to-tag 0.9.23 --minimal-context
> >
> > I'm not sure whether --to-tag would be appropriate, meaning I'm sending to
> > a person who I know has version 0.9.23, or --from-tag, meaning push changes
> > since 0.9.23.
>
> I think we want to select the changes as usual, and separately say
> pretend I'm sending this to a repository at such-and-such tag.  So I
> guess you can get this feature today simply by maintaining such a
> repository.  Except in a distributed system, a tag might not be the
> right thing....  Maybe you just delay applying new patches to that repo
> for say one day (or week, or month, ...) and hope that's good enough.

Well, the difference is that if you do that today, you'll end up pushing
all needed patches that aren't in that repo, while the "minimal" patch
method would push only those patches selected, but in a context that only
contains patches that are depended upon by the patches you're pushing.

> Anyhow, on today's internet, you probably don't have to worry about
> people getting so far out of sync that this is really an issue.  Or am I
> wrong?

Well, it would sort of depend on the catch-up situation perhaps and the
culture one's sending the patches into.  It might be nice to be able to
simply apply a patch to a branched older version of a project.
http://www.abridgegame.org