[darcs-users] peer to peer darcs

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Aug 2 10:44:25 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 10:57:39PM -0400, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 06:33:21AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> > Well, the difference is that if you do that today, you'll end up pushing
> > all needed patches that aren't in that repo, while the "minimal" patch
> > method would push only those patches selected, but in a context that only
> > contains patches that are depended upon by the patches you're pushing.
>
> Ok, last reply to this message!  Here's how you get it today:
>
>     1.  Push selected patches to an empty repository.
>     2.  Unpull selected patches from   empty repository.
                                    "formerly"
>     3.  Send selected patches to the empty repository.
>
> The post that last send to the world.  Right?

Yes, that would work.  And if you wanted the "minimal versus a tag"
version, you could substitute a tagged version of the repo for the empty
repo.  The O(n^2) here shows up in the original push, which not only is
O(n^2), but also holds all patches in memory simultaneously--not possible
for large repositories on 32 bit systems.  Roughtly speaking (and I mean
*rough*), you can expect to use about ten times the size of your repository
in memory, since of course darcs has to hold not only the patch
information, but the parsing thereof in memory.

But for small repos, this would be a reasonable way of doing this.
http://www.abridgegame.org