[darcs-users] How does --ask-deps work?

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Tue Aug 3 23:43:56 UTC 2004

I seem to not understand how the --ask-deps works.  In a
source file I added a pair of function and macro definitions
(like assertions) for bug detection, and also many one-liner
invocations of these functions and macros at strategic places.

I recorded the definitions as a single hunk.  Then I wanted to
record (with darcs rec --ask) the uses of these in a couple
of separate patches that all, one by one, depended on the
definition patch (D).

The first patch (U1) worked.  But I could not make the second
patch (U2) depend on just D.  When I answered No to depend
on U1, darcs skipped the question for D.  And when I backed
up and still said Yes to D, it automatically also filled in
Yes for U1.  Same thing for U3: I could chose to depend on
[U2], [U2,U1], [U2,U1,D], but not on just D.  This dependency
hierarchy seems upside-down to me.

Either some test condition for --ask-deps has a bug, my
intuition is from another planet, or the --aks-deps option
is very clever and there is a section in the docs about it
not yet written.