[darcs-users] Re: always long comment

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Aug 4 01:17:45 UTC 2004

Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 06:58:21AM -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>
>>Second is to have a repository or darcs environment variable specifying
>>a shell scripts/program/whatever to create a template so that we can
>>create whatever standard information set we want with in the template as
>>a prompter.  For example, I would want something like:
>>
>>03-Aug-2004 esj:

>>changed files:
>>M ./modules/camram_email.py -9 +125
>>
>>in this template, you see a divider line >>> <<<  and I would want that
>>the divider line and everything below to be deleted when I was done with
>>the editing process.
>

> You're talking about what you see when you user darcs record
> --edit-long-comment?

yes.

> If so, I agree that this would be useful, because

> Related idea:  When using --edit-long-comment, put the patch name at
> the top of the --edit-long-comment file, so one can modify that as one
> reviews the changes.  Actually, don't prompt for the patch name, just
> put "Patch name: " at the top of the file and let the user type it.
>
> Vaguely related idea:  Allow rerecord to --edit-long-comment.  Maybe
> even allow it to change the patch name.

an even further out idea would be to treat everything listed below the
divider line as the source of the list of files included in the
check-in.  So you could in theory say give me everything and then delete
stuff that you really don't want to include.  This would be kind of the
check-in list of last resort.

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  It makes mistakes, I correct most