[darcs-users] An idea of a bug reporting system

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at modeemi.cs.tut.fi
Mon Aug 9 03:42:11 UTC 2004

Looking at all the bug reports here, I started thinking it might be nice
to have a convenient way to store all the bug and other problem reports
along with the code in the repository. And since darcs supports email
commits, we actually have the back-end for a publicly accessible bug
reporting system in place here.

For the front-end, when the user has built the program from a repository,
the reporting might be just a matter of adding an entry to a special bugs
file or (perhaps with some prefilling script). For otherwise distributed
source or binaries, perhaps instead of or in addition to the --context
switch mentioned in
<http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-June/002272.html>,
there should be an option to build a bug reporting script? The script
should contain the information necessary to generate a patch bundle
appliable to the bugs file from the time the script was generated, and
to email this bundle to the repository (without darcs itself being needed
on the user's side).

That's the basic idea. It might however be convenient to have a special
bug patch for automatic numbering of bugs and to ensure that there are
no conflicts in the merge that need to be fixed. Of course, this does
not necessarily have to be implemented in darcs itself, but could be
handled by an additional program.

--
Tuomo