[darcs-users] Re: questions on development process

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Aug 10 11:15:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:12:28AM -0300, Whiel O'Zookocronx wrote:
> For what it is worth, every now and then I do
>
> mkdir new
> cd new
> darcs pull http://mnetproject.org/repos/mnet
>
> And then I'm confused by the results until I remember that "get" and
> "pull" are separate.  This shows that those two commands are very close
> together in my mind.  Anyway if you are going to keep them separate
> then maybe "darcs pull" should immediately emit a warning/explanation
> and exit when there is no repository in the current directory.

Doesn't it?

I get

~$ darcs pull darcs

darcs failed:  Unable to run pull here.
You need to be in a repository directory to run this command.
Usage: darcs pull [OPTION]... [REPOSITORY]
Pull patches from another repo.
      --matches=PATTERN         select patches matching PATTERN
      --patches=REGEXP          select patches matching REGEXP
      --tags=REGEXP             select tags matching REGEXP
  -a  --all                     answer yes to all patches
      --interactive             Prompt user interactively
      --external-merge=COMMAND  Use external tool to merge conflicts
      --compress                create compressed patches
      --dont-compress           don't create compressed patches
      --test                    run the test script
      --no-test                 don't run the test script
      --dry-run                 don't actually make any changes
  -v  --verbose                 give verbose output
  -q  --quiet                   suppress informational output
      --standard-verbosity      neither verbose nor quiet output
      --ignore-times            don't trust the file modification times
      --no-deps                 don't automatically fulfill dependencies
      --set-default             set default repository [DEFAULT]
      --no-set-default          don't set default repository
  -h  --help                    shows brief description of command and its arguments
Pull is used to bring changes made in another repo into the current repo
(that is, the one that is the current directory).  Pull allows you to bring
over all or some of the patches that are in that repo but not in the
current one.  Pull accepts an argument, which is the URL from which to
pull, and when called without an argument, pull will use the repository
from which you have most recently either pushed or pulled.

Admittedly, it's awfully over-verbose, and the message is wedged up near
the top, but it does say "You need to be in a repository directory to run
this command."
http://www.abridgegame.org