[darcs-users] rename "_darcs" to ".darcs" ?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue Aug 10 22:19:45 UTC 2004

Oops, accidentally didn't include the list on this.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, David Roundy wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 08:56:42AM -0300, Zooko Journeyman wrote:
> > If "_darcs" were named ".darcs" then the normal Unix "hidden files"
> > feature would hide it from certain commands.
> >
> > For example, I could do "grep -r fixme *", and the grep command would
> > not look into the ".darcs" directory.  Currently I have to do "grep -r
> > fixme * | grep -v _darcs", or else "mv _darcs .darcs ; grep -r fixme *
> > ; mv .darcs _darcs".
> >

> Also, it is nice to be able to see that a directory is under darcs
> control, and the presence of a visible darcs directory there is a
> reasonable way to indicate that.  This is less important now that you
can
> run darcs in subdirectories of a repository (at one time this was a wild
> new feature).

What about removing read/write access to either the whole _darcs
directory, or everything under there except for prefs?

Technically there is nothing in there except the prefs that we should be
touching, and the darcs command could flip the permission bits back and
forth when it needs to.  It should do a very good job of keeping find and
grep out of there :).

Pat