[darcs-users] An idea of a bug reporting system

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Aug 11 09:45:31 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 10:49:15AM +1000, BARBOUR Timothy wrote:
> > From: David Roundy [mailto:droundy at abridgegame.org]
> [...]
> > On third thought, perhaps each bug report should be a separate
> > directory.  Then one could naturally include auxiliary files in the bug
> > report.
>
> People tend to include auxiliary files with bug reports, and typical bug
> tracking systems allow them to do this. I would consider it an important
> feature.

I suppose so.

> > But perhaps this would be a bit much.
>
> Why ?

I'm afraid it might expand the size of the repository too much, especially
in darcs where a "normal" repository contains the entire history.  For a
large project including the entire history of the code is already enough to
cause darcs to be slow, and including all bug reports would just be
suicidal.  I guess that just means this "feature" should be used with
caution.  And I guess to prevent DOS attacks, bug reports should be
filtered on size.

> At first I was puzzled why anyone would want to integrate bug-tracking into
> a revision control tool, but it just occurred to me that it would mean that
> any repo (set of patches) would include an appropriate set of bug reports
> corresponding to the status of the features etc. contained in the patches.

And it means that when you see an odd line of code and wonder why it was
added, you can check with darcs.cgi for what patch added that code, and see
what else was done by that patch, which would include closing the bug
report, so you could get a good idea as to why it was added.  Often when I
in XXX", which doesn't help me understand why it was necesary.
http://www.abridgegame.org