[darcs-users] bug report: inconsistent repository

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Aug 14 10:29:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 04:27:52PM -0300, Zooko Journeyman wrote:
> I was recording and unrecording patches containing lots of little
> hunks.  (I was trying to "condense" my patches into a few logically
> organized patches.)
>
> I also made one small change to a file manually after unrecording a big
> patch and before re-recording it.
>
> Eventually I got "can't apply inverse patch!".  So I tried darcs check
> and got "repo inconsistent!".
>
> So I bundled up the repo at that moment:
>
> http://zooko.com/play.tar.bz2
>
> and the bash history file showing the sequence of commands:
>
> http://zooko.com/darcsbug.hist

There seems to be a permissions problem keeping me from downloading this
file.

> Unfortunately since I used darcs interactiveLY there's a lot of
> information missing from that history file...
>
> Let me know if I can help diagnose this more.

I most certainly will (once I get a chance to look at the history).  This
does not look like a good bug.

darcs repair seems to work fine, and should be suggestive of what might
have gone wrong.  Before running repair, there aren't any changes according
to whatsnew.  After repair, there are quite a few changes:

$ darcs whatsnew --summary
M ./source/abl-show.cc -4 +4
M ./source/acr.cc -5 +6
M ./source/chardump.cc -14 +11
M ./source/decks.cc -1 +1
M ./source/describe.cc -20 +24
M ./source/effects.cc -1 +1
M ./source/fight.cc -11 +10
M ./source/files.cc -1 +4
M ./source/files.h -1 +1
M ./source/it_use3.cc -5 +7
M ./source/item_use.cc -2 +39
M ./source/itemname.cc -1 +1

Could you look at these changes and perhaps identify when you made them,
perhaps in relation to the history? I think that might help me figure out
what went wrong.
http://www.abridgegame.org