[darcs-users] Re: SCM comparison - darcs GUI

libogen . libogen at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 14 10:48:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 06:55:24 -0400, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>
wrote:

>Does anyone actually use the gui interface?

The GUI is not applicable to the commonly used commands, at least with the
Windows binary so I've never actually used it :-(

IMO, a good GUI is the only major component that is lacking for darcs.

I use both darcs and CVS to manage my website development files. Using CVS
via the TortoiseCVS GUI (http://www.tortoisecvs.org/), which integrates with
Windows (directory & file) Explorer, is very convenient and is quicker than
using CVS on the commandline (which I used to do). It's functionality is
also available when handling files within HTML-Kit, the text editor I use.

Like the development of TortoiseCVS, development of a darcs GUI could be
separate from darcs if there are interested developers. That would allow
David to continue concentrating on darcs' development.

Also like TortoiseCVS, I think that a darcs GUI should not cover all
commands, particulary the least used ones, otherwise maintaining the GUI and
catching-up with darcs releases could be very time consuming.

I've no doubt that the existence of such a GUI would greatly increase the
number of people that use darcs and am also in no doubt that I don't have
the programming knowledge to create one! :)

Cheers,
Kieran