[darcs-users] An idea of a bug reporting system

'Andrew Pimlott' andrew at pimlott.net
Tue Aug 17 01:02:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 12:43:01PM -0700, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2004, at 12:00, 'Andrew Pimlott' wrote:
>
> >... what advantage does this have over simply putting the bug DB in a
> >separate darcs repository?
>
> Having them together means that if you check something in that
> closes a bug, you can close the bug at the same time.

Right, this is the benefit I called "seductive".  If you do things this
way, it introduces a complication wrt an idea in your previous mail:

> The only potential problem I see is that a ``released'' tree
> wouldn't necessarily know about every bug that was reported against it after
> the fact.  In that case, you'd just need to maintain a branch from that
> tree and merge in bug reports when you find that they apply to that
> branch.  It's still manual, and not all that great, but the problem
> doesn't seem like an incredibly common one to me in the first place.
> At least, not enough to outweigh the benefits of a distributed bug
> tracking system for distributed projects.

If the bug fixes are in the same patch as the bug closing, you can't
just pull in bug reports from another tree, because you'll get code too.
(And as I said before, darcs doesn't support pulling just one directory
yet anyway.)  And what do you mean is not incredibly common?  Obviously,
it's common for bug reports to be filed after releases.  :-)  Maybe you
mean that all developers will work on the latest development version of
the code, so they'll have the latest bug db.  But it seems a shame to
make this a requirement.

> When someone pulls a
> patch that fixes a bug, the patch will simultaneously close the bug.

But if your code tree are not in sync with the bug db, this is
insignificant.  After all, there may be many other bugs that aren't in
your tree at all.  Or the bug may have been reopened!

Andrew