[darcs-users] a couple of features (logs & managing patches)

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Tue Aug 17 20:29:04 UTC 2004

Please excuse me if this has been talked about before, I don't follow
this list in great detail.

One feature that I really like in tla is the 'make log' command, in a
way.  I like the fact that it's easy to write down my changes as I go,
and when I "record", it knows where to look for the log file.  This
feature could be added to darcs without darcs forcing me to use it
like tla does.

In brief, tla make-log outputs the name of a log file.  Therefore,
emacs `tla make-log` will create or edit the file, then "tla commit"
will use that file for its log.

I know that one can specify a logfile with "record", but it's nice to
have the command to create a logfile that "record" will find
automagically.  (It should perhaps also have the feature that if I
start the log file while working on a one patch, then I record and
specify a different file, the next time I do a record, it shouldn't
use the old file.)

Also, has anyone implemented anything like tla-pqm[1] for darcs?
That's tla's "Patch Queue Manager", which a friend of mine wrote.  I'm
not sure that this is exactly what I want, but I would love to have
some kind of support for managing patches besides ticking them in
email.

Here's a somewhat related use case that would be nice:

- I get a patch in email
- I pipe my email to "darcs swallow-patch"
- Later, I can say "darcs show-unapplied-patches"
- darcs apply -p"the patch name"
(and it deletes it from the show-unapplied list)

Of course, this could be a wrapper script as well.

peace,

  isaac

[1] http://web.verbum.org/arch-pqm/

p.s. I just uploaded darcs 1.0.0rc1 to debian.