[darcs-users] Initial impressions of darcs

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Wed Aug 18 13:16:20 UTC 2004

Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> What's wrong with just using multiple repositories? Some more organisation
> of the different "configurations" could also be achieved through the support
> of meta-repositories,

Personally, I view this as the biggest problem with darcs. At a minimum,
I want the SCM to manage the collection of branches (darcs does not). I
really *don't* want a whole new repository for each branch. After using
darcs successfully for several months, I have now stopped, due
primarily[1] to that issue.

Aside from my irrational reasons, I view branch handling as very
important for platforms that do not have hard links (MS Windows and
cheap, ftp-only web hosts come to mind). In those cases, darcs branches
are really expensive, as well as being confusing to manage (which they
are on all platforms).

Scott's proposal (configurations via patchlines) sounds promising to me.
Without some capability like that, darcs won't meet my needs.

Kevin

[1] The other significant reason is haskell--partly because I don't like
the language, and partly because ghc can be difficult to install and use.