[darcs-users] Initial impressions of darcs

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Wed Aug 18 20:25:35 UTC 2004

On Aug 18, 2004, at 12:42, Scott L. Burson wrote:

> To answer your question, I must admit I don't really know yet.  It
> seems to me
> based on my experience with other SCM systems that having only one
> configuration per tree (besides, obviously, using more disk space) is
> somewhat inflexible.  At the very least, it fails to provide
> affirmative
> support for keeping track of which configuration is in which
> repository.  But
> it will take some experience with darcs before I really have a good
> feel for
> how much of a problem this is.

	I'm not entirely sure what this means.  If you branch a tree in any
revision control system, how do you know which tree has which branch
(my experience is pretty much limited to CVS, perforce, arch, and
darcs)?

	In arch, there's the category/branch/version naming mechanism.  This
basically allows you to give it a name (although in a very specific
format) in the repository so you can check out from that.

	In darcs, I get a similar thing, but I can name it whatever I want and
put it wherever I want.  So I can do things like this:

	darcs get sometree sometree-test-branch

	And now I've got two branches.  If I name them well, they are easy
enough to keep up with.  The difference is that a single repository
can't have multiple of these...but a single directory can.

--
Dustin Sallings