[darcs-users] Re: Initial impressions of darcs

Sean Perry sean.perry at intransa.com
Wed Aug 18 20:40:50 UTC 2004

Björn Lindström wrote:

> I would like to wildly disagree. For me, darcs straight-forward handling
> of branches (namely - not handling them) is one of the main reasons for
> me liking it so much. It's not the only instance of darcs trading file
> for disc space efficiency - but in these days, does it really matter?

Sure, disks are "cheap". But not at the larger scale. 3 or 4 large ide
drives will set you back just under a thousand dollars US currently. Try
maintaining that for an entire engineering team. "cheap" means different
things to different people at different times. 40 GB disks on laptops
are not that cheap. For my current work project that is about 4 - 6
working copies of my source. We are looking at ways to have smaller
repositories (using a commercial SCM currently).

Plus Scott mentions things like cheap web hosts. You may not get enough
storage space there to have many copies of a tree. A way to more
efficiently store code is always welcomed.