[darcs-users] Initial impressions of darcs

Scott L. Burson Gyro at zeta-soft.com
Thu Aug 19 06:20:53 UTC 2004

On Wed August 18 2004 01:25 pm, Dustin Sallings wrote:
> On Aug 18, 2004, at 12:42, Scott L. Burson wrote:
> > To answer your question, I must admit I don't really know yet.  It
> > seems to me
> > based on my experience with other SCM systems that having only one
> > configuration per tree (besides, obviously, using more disk space) is
> > somewhat inflexible.  At the very least, it fails to provide
> > affirmative
> > support for keeping track of which configuration is in which
> > repository.
>
> 	I'm not entirely sure what this means.  If you branch a tree in any
> revision control system, how do you know which tree has which branch
> (my experience is pretty much limited to CVS, perforce, arch, and
> darcs)?

Well, you're right, all these systems have some way to name configurations, so
I guess this isn't really the issue.  What I perhaps should have said was "it
fails to provide affirmative support for keeping track of which configuration
contains which patches".  This seems like a harder thing to track manually.

-- Scott