[darcs-users] Re: Initial impressions of darcs

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Aug 19 06:35:51 UTC 2004

On 18 Aug 2004, Kevin Smith <yarcs at qualitycode.com> wrote:
> Alex Shinn wrote:
> >What cheap web hosts aren't Unix-based?
>
> The free web space you get from your ISP, for one. When you pay $3/mo
> (US) or less for web hosting, you probably won't get a shell account.

I would ask whether any project really needs to publish more than a
handful of concurrent development branches.  (Not tags, branches.)
Even Linux, which has to be amongst the most active projects, has only
a handful on the main site (2.2, 2.4, 2.6), plus one for a few
developers.  Very few need more than 'stable', 'devel', and a couple
of experimental streams.  The disk usage need not be enormous.

Similarly for commercial projects: complexity and potential error goes
up with the number of branches, so it's good to keep that number low.
I know there are groups which really do need scores on concurrent
branches, but those people have bigger problems than the cost of disk.
Even there, I think it's rare for most developers to work on more than
a few branches in any week.

If you really do need lots of branches perhaps you need Clearcase or
Arch to help you keep them straight.

--
Martin